Just realized I forgot to link this, sorry. This is hosted by Alex J. Cavanaugh. Of course, since half of the interwebs seems to be participating, you probably already knew that.
I wasn’t going to enter this blogfest, nut then I decided to. Okay, not much of a story there. Anyway, that’s why I haven’t plugged it at all. I’m not much of a music guy; I listen to music because I like it, not because it’s cutting edge, or the next big thing, or so obscure even the band itself hasn’t heard of it. So if you’re looking for “cool” or “hip” or “groovy*,” keep looking.
Also, I don’t intend this to be a “best songs ever recorded” list. These are songs that stand out for me, songs I can listen to over and over again and still miss when they’ve stopped playing. I could have included fifty more (no Stones? no CCR?) on the list, too.
Here’s the list (in alphabetical order):
- “All Along the Watchtower” by Jimmy Hendrix – Hendrix and (songwriter) Bob Dylan at their very best. What’s not to love?
- “American Pie” by Don McLean – An obvious choice, I know, but it’s obvious for a reason: it’s good.
- “Anarchy in the UK” by the Sex Pistols – Sometimes you just have to listen to Angry.
- “The Day I Tried to Live” by Soundgarden – Yes, I was into Grunge in my early twenties. You should have seen me work the flannel. Still love Soundgarden, and this is their best.
- “Jack and Diane” by John Mellencamp – growing up in a small Indiana town pre-cell phones and internet? Yeah, I can relate.
- “Like a Prayer” by Madonna – What? It’s a good song. Leave me alone.
- “Refugee” by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers – I could have filled the top ten with Tom Petty. I chose one, his best.
- “Whiskey in the Jar” by Thin Lizzy – I love every version of this song. This one’s the best.
- “White Rabbit” by Jefferson Airplane – It’s about Alice in Wonderland! It’s about drugs! Stop, you’re both right!
- “Won’t Get Fooled Again” by the Who – It’s a shame the Who have been coopted by the crapfest known as the CSI franchise, but this is still the best song by arguably the best rock band ever.
I’m going to try to attach a playlist to the right with these songs. Don’t be shocked if it doesn’t work, though.
*Actually, I might be able to pull off “groovy”.