Monday, January 24, 2011

The day the music…got made into a blogfest

Just realized I forgot to link this, sorry.  This is hosted by Alex J. Cavanaugh.  Of course, since half of the interwebs seems to be participating, you probably already knew that.

I wasn’t going to enter this blogfest, nut then I decided to.  Okay, not much of a story there.  Anyway, that’s why I haven’t plugged it at all.  I’m not much of a music guy; I listen to music because I like it, not because it’s cutting edge, or the next big thing, or so obscure even the band itself hasn’t heard of it.  So if you’re looking for “cool” or “hip” or “groovy*,” keep looking. 

Also, I don’t intend this to be a “best songs ever recorded” list.  These are songs that stand out for me, songs I can listen to over and over again and still miss when they’ve stopped playing.  I could have included fifty more (no Stones? no CCR?) on the list, too.

Here’s the list (in alphabetical order):

  1. “All Along the Watchtower” by Jimmy Hendrix – Hendrix and (songwriter) Bob Dylan at their very best.  What’s not to love? 
  2. “American Pie” by Don McLean – An obvious choice, I know, but it’s obvious for a reason: it’s good.
  3. “Anarchy in the UK” by the Sex Pistols – Sometimes you just have to listen to Angry. 
  4. “The Day I Tried to Live” by Soundgarden – Yes, I was into Grunge in my early twenties.  You should have seen me work the flannel.  Still love Soundgarden, and this is their best.
  5. “Jack and Diane” by John Mellencamp – growing up in a small Indiana town pre-cell phones and internet?  Yeah, I can relate.
  6. “Like a Prayer” by Madonna – What?  It’s a good song.  Leave me alone.
  7. “Refugee” by Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers – I could have filled the top ten with Tom Petty.  I chose one, his best.
  8. “Whiskey in the Jar” by Thin Lizzy – I love every version of this song.  This one’s the best.
  9. “White Rabbit” by Jefferson Airplane – It’s about Alice in Wonderland!  It’s about drugs!  Stop, you’re both right!
  10. “Won’t Get Fooled Again” by the Who – It’s a shame the Who have been coopted by the crapfest known as the CSI franchise, but this is still the best song by arguably the best rock band ever. 

I’m going to try to attach a playlist to the right with these songs.  Don’t be shocked if it doesn’t work, though.

*Actually, I might be able to pull off “groovy”.

25 comments:

  1. haha, I'm with on Like A Prayer! It was an awesome song. And Thin Lizzy! Wow! Love! Also gotta love me some Jimi :o)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, I love your list, Dan - you can definately pull off groovy!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Finally someone with songs from my generation. Hendrix, The Lizzy and White Rabbit! Great job :)
    Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love your comment about the Madonna song. I love Madonna too. No regrets!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I think you achieved full groovy!
    Thanks, and yes, it is all over the web right now. I'm going to do my best to visit every participant today, but I may fall short.
    Thanks for joining in the fun!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ah! Great list! All the 70s ones I definitely could have gone with, too--American Pie is a childhood soundtrack. And Refugee is my favorite Petty song and I pretty much love ALL Petty.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Niiiice. I approve. Great list!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Really good list! All Along The Watchtower is such a good choice. Had I thought about it, it would have been on mine also.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Ooo! The Sex Pistols! Love the rest of your picks, too.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Love your list Dan very varid and pleasurable.
    I like the song Whiskey In The Jar.....I lived in Ireland for a wee while.

    Thanks for a pleasant read.
    Yvonne.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great minds think alike with the Like a Prayer!!! Such a fab song!Love Soundgarden and Hendrix too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great list, love the classic rock touches.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Excellent list. All Along the Watchtower was on my top ten and I took it off to put on Elvis Costello. A top ten without Hendrix - now that's just wrong.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great classic rock songs. Where I went to college, they played American Pie at midnight every night at a bar called O'Malleys so that song reminds me of college!.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, does anyone else remember the Sex Pistols?

    Awesome choices all.

    .......dhole

    ReplyDelete
  16. Thanks, everyone for the comments. I'm glad so many people remember these songs. I don't feel so old now!

    Dan

    ReplyDelete
  17. I do like your list - there are some classics in there! Thanks for sharing.

    My Top Ten Songs

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh do I love me some Tom Petty! Refugee was a great choice. Fantastic list here - love American as well!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great list. Tom Petty deserved to be mentioned somewhere since I forgot any of his songs and I have nearly all of his albums.

    Lee
    Make sure you check my Wednesday post!
    Tossing It Out

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love every song on your list.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Dan

    Just popped by to say thanks for entering my blogfest and to drop in a little reminder that it starts this Friday and runs through the weekend. :)

    Thanks

    :Dom

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hello *waves* This is my first time here!! I just wanted to stop by and check out your hot mug for the blogfest but I found you're great taste in music so I suppose that'll do for now :) I'll be back to check it out later!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Woo, great list! I love every one of these songs.

    ReplyDelete