Tuesday, January 18, 2011

I’m Havin’ a Blogfest! “The Life in Your Years”

“In the end, it’s not the years in your life that count.  It’s the life in your years.”

- Abraham Lincoln

 

****CANCELLED****

UPDATE:  This blogfest has been cancelled.  Sorry, Abe.

On February 27th, Sanguine Musings will host its first ever blogfest.  With PRIZES!  That dreary Sunday in late February is also my birthday, and for those keeping score, it will be number *ahem* forty.  So to commemorate the occasion (or to distract myself from it), I’ve put together what I call “The Life in Your Years” Blogfest.  I wanted to give it a birthday/milestone theme, so the premise is simple.  Write a short story in which the character’s main challenge derives from her age. 

Some examples:

  • The MC is pushed out of his job because he’s too old.
  • The MC is a fifteen-year-old prodigy trying to navigate social obstacles in college.
  • The MC just turned eighteen in 1968 and has to register for the draft.
  • The MC lives in a fictional society like that from Logan’s Run, and the MC’s age has its own set of consequences.
  • and so on…

A truism of humanity is that we long to be what we’re not, which can be a wonderful characteristic if you think about it.  Sometimes, though, we long for what we can’t change.  So many young people can’t wait to be older; so many old people long for their youth.  Write a story in which the MC’s age doesn’t just suck, but is actually causing a specific problem.  You can use an existing MC or create one just for this.  I’m thinking 200-500 words is a good count, but if you want to go over or under, be my guest.

Okay, the rules in a nutshell:

  • Sign up on the linky-loo to the right before or on February 27th.
  • You don’t have to follow me, but it would make me happy.  And isn’t that what everyone’s birthday is about: making me happy?
  • Write a 200-500 word story or scene.  If you go above or below the word count that’s fine; I won’t box your creativity.
  • The primary conflict should directly result from the character’s age.
  • The MC can be an existing or a brand new creation.
  • If you have excerpt from a WIP that fits the theme and want to use that instead, feel free.
  • At some point, post on you blog about the blogfest and link back to this page.
  • Feel free to plaster the badge all over your site, but don’t feel obligated.
  • Post entries on your blog between February 27th and March 1st.

And yes, I did mention prizes.  If I get at least twenty participants, I’ll award a prize for the best piece.  “Best” of course, being completely subjective to my opinion, and that of my crack team of readers (my wife).  I’m working on just what the prize will be.  It’ll be a fifty dollar value, give or take, but I want to do something besides the typical Amazon gift card.  I’ll keep you posted, though.

A disclaimer: As far as I know, I came up with the theme on my own.  If it turns out I just stole your blogfest from a year ago, or whatever, please know that it was completely unintentional.

If for some reason you can’t or don’t want to participate, but would like to promote the fest, please do so.  I appreciate all the support I can get. 

I’m really looking forward to this.  I hope you’ll all join me; it should be fun.

4 comments:

  1. Happy VERY early birthday, Dan! What a great idea to celebrate. I'm going to try my best to join in the blogfest. That Lincoln quote is one of my favorites.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like a fun writing challenge, I have added this blogfest to my blogfest page on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  3. oooh, I might have to do this because I love a challenge. hmmmm, I'll be back.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This one sounds hard, but I am in.

    J

    ReplyDelete