Friday, December 10, 2010

Start the Resolution Without Me

I’m a little late to the Rejectionist’s party, but I’ve decided to participate in her New Year’s pre-resolution un-contest.  Basically, you make a resolution for New Year’s but start hacking away at it early, kind of like getting a running start.  I’ve learned my lesson many times about trying to compress important things in my life I need to be doing or changing.  Or not doing.  I don’t know if I’ve ever in my life kept a resolution, so eventually I stopped making them.  If I don’t keep my New Year’s promises, then resolving to save money, land an agent, or eat healthy will only doom those endeavors to failure.  Trust me, I know.

Instead, I’ve come up with something I need to do, but if I don’t accomplish it, the world won’t fall apart:

I’m going to read every book on my eReader. 

Doesn’t sound too hard, right?  Well it’s definitely a straight forward task, it doesn’t involve any physical labor, and I don’t need to solicit anyone’s help.

Of course, I have 50 plus unread books in there right now, including Moby Dick and War and Peace.  Also three different histories of the Protestant Reformation.  And the Histories of Herodotus.  And a science book by the guy who invented calculus (Isaac Newton).

And I decided not to include the King James Bible I have on there.

I like this resolution; it’s more of a challenge then a mandate for some great life change.  I’ve already started, too.  I’m almost done with Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas.


At some point, I’ll make a list.  If anyone wants to join me, that’d be awesome.  If you’re not too keen on reading Galileo’s Dialogues Concerning Two New Sciences or The Physics of Superheroes (not by Galileo) I’ll understand.

No comments:

Post a Comment