Today is the Top Ten Horror and Science Fiction Movie Quotes Blogfest hosted by Ellie Garrat and iZombie. Wasn’t going to sign up, since I’ve been in blogfest overload, but I saw that I could be number thirteen in a horror-related event. So why not?
10. “It’s alive. It’s…alive!” – Frankenstein Watch Colin Clive deliver this line. Eighty years later, this is still one of the most chilling films ever made.
9. “I have a bad feeling about this.” – Star Wars Trilogy I love the running gag through the first trilogy with nearly every central character from Han Solo to C-3PO delivering this line at some point.
7. “Give him the seda-give!” – Young Frankenstein A horror spoof still counts as horror, right? Marty Feldman is one of those great comic actors hardly anyone’s heard of for some reason, and never is he better than during his master’s impromptu life-or-death game of charades.
4. “We should go inside. They mostly come out at night. Mostly.” – Aliens I imagine most people are going to use the “Get away from her you bitch!” line, but for me, this is far and away the best line of the film.
3. “Gort, ‘Klaatu Barada Nikto’.” – The Day the Earth Stood Still Any list of science fiction movie quotes should come with this line pre-installed. The most memorable line from the greatest of all SF films (the original, of course).
2. “What are you doing, Dave?” – 2001:a Space Odyssey Didn’t care for this film all that much as a whole, but I loved the middle part with Hal, especially his desperate attempt to smooth things over with Dave after his attempt to kill Dave fails. Anything creepier than a dying homicidal computer singing “Daisy”? Only one thing I can think of…
1. “They’re coming to get you, Barbara.” – Night if the Living Dead As nasty (in a good way) as the rest of the film gets, there’s not too much that matches the creepiness of the line from the early going. Forty plus years of advanced visual effects, innovative storytelling, and surprise plot twists have not been able to unseat this film as the most disturbing horror flick of all time (although Audition comes close *shudder*).